Installing multimedia codecs in linux
Codecs, is an important element when we are talking about playing and watching multimedia files. To install codecs on linux box, it is an easy task. Just follow the below instructions :
- Download the codecs source from here. Thank you to the mplayer team for this magnificent codecs source.
- Login as superuser
- # su -
- Extract the downloaded archive
- # tar -xvjf essential-20071007.tar.bz2
- Make 2 directories if they are not already exist.
- # mkdir /usr/local/lib/codecs
- # mkdir /usr/lib/win32
- Copy the content of the extracted directory to the newly created directory
- # cp essential-20071007/* /usr/local/lib/codecs
- # cp essential-20071007/* /usr/lib/win32
- Change the permission of the directories to 755
- # chmod 755 /usr/local/lib/codecs
- # chmod 755 /usr/lib/win32
- Finish. Congratulations, you have managed to install multimedia codecs into your linux box. You can test it by playing any video with your favorite media player.