Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
Installing multimedia codecs in linux
Codecs, is an important element when we are talking about playing and watching multimedia files. To install codecs on linux box, it is an easy task. Just follow the below instructions :
- Download the codecs source from here. Thank you to the mplayer team for this magnificent codecs source.
- Login as superuser
- # su -
- Extract the downloaded archive
- # tar -xvjf essential-20071007.tar.bz2
- Make 2 directories if they are not already exist.
- # mkdir /usr/local/lib/codecs
- # mkdir /usr/lib/win32
- Copy the content of the extracted directory to the newly created directory
- # cp essential-20071007/* /usr/local/lib/codecs
- # cp essential-20071007/* /usr/lib/win32
- Change the permission of the directories to 755
- # chmod 755 /usr/local/lib/codecs
- # chmod 755 /usr/lib/win32
- Finish. Congratulations, you have managed to install multimedia codecs into your linux box. You can test it by playing any video with your favorite media player.
For questions please refer to our Q/A forum at : http://ask.unixmen.com
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail , 12.10, 12.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comment(s) |
- How to use Remote Desktop in Ubuntu : Sometimes, we need to access our computer from other locations when we’re not at home and such. This...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- Dictionaries in Python
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Lists in Python
- Argument Handling in Python
- Setup your own Wikipedia like website using MediaWiki
- Administer your Server using Ajenti Server Manager
- “Brand New” Unixmen Forum is Now Live!
- How To: Disable or Enable Guest Account in Ubuntu 13.04
- Setup Your Own YouTube Like Website Using ClipBucket
- Retroshare: A Next Generation Secure Communication and File Sharing Platform
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .
Maintained by Anblik .