Howto : install Sun xVM VirtualBox on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
This tutorial shows how you can install Sun xVM VirtualBox on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex desktop. VirtualBox is similar to Mvware
Soms say that has more performance than Mvware but sometimes less stability. So with Virtualbox you can create and run guest operating systems (“virtual machines”) such as Linux and Windows under a host operating system.
In this tutorial we will try to install the comercial version of virtualbox, that is free for for personal use.
First we have to add virtualbox repository to our apt installation the 3 line together one after one :
/bin/echo "# VirtualBox repository for Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian intrepid non-free"
| /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/intrepid-virtualbox.list
Then we install the key for this repository :
/usr/bin/wget http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/sun_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
Now we have to update our package :
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/apt-get update
At the end install VirtualBox :
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/apt-get install virtualbox-2.0
Now you will find the application on your ubuntu start menu:
Applications > System Tools
To be sure that everything will work good, we will recompile the necessery kernels for this software :
/usr/bin/sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
We advice people that has problem to run the application , to use the command above because will force
to lunch the application. Now we will add the users that has permission to use VirtualBox :
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/adduser $USER vboxusers
If you will use immidiatly the application, use the commands below
/usr/bin/sudo /etc/init.d/udev reload /usr/bin/sudo /sbin/modprobe vboxdrv /bin/su -c /usr/bin/VirtualBox $USER
And is done :)
Now we are ready to install virtual machines on our VirtualBox, below will describe how to use VirtualBox
to install WindowsXP.
First open your VirtualBox from Applications > System Tools see pic1
Then click op new see pic2 :
Click next and choose to install WindowsXP, give a name to the virtual machine see pic3 :
Next you have to choose how much memory you want to give to windows XP (better shoose standard) see and click next
Next you have to create partition for windowsXP pic5 (me i did soose 2Go) and click next (pi 5-6)
Then choose fixed size image (pic6) and click next
and then shoose image and size pic 7:
And then click on Finish pic8 :
Now we will continue the installation, click on next pic -9
NOw before to click finish insert the cd of windows XP then click on finish, a new screen will ask you
from where you want to install Windows Xp,choose CD/DVD :
Then the installation of windows XP will run automaticaly from the CD/DVD Pic -11
Now folow the normal installation procedure of Windows XP
And ya windows is installed on your Ubuntu Enoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6 : Integria IMS is a fully featured ITIL management system, featuring a ticketing system, inventory/C...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...2 comments |
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats : Selene is yet another project from the TimeShift Developer Tony George. It is an audio/video convert...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
- Format Junkie: Convert Media Files To All Popular Formats
- Setup Squid Proxy Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TimeShift: Restore Your Linux Desktop To Previous State
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .