Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
Install Samba Server on Ubuntu
If you want to share files between your Ubuntu and Windows computers, your best option is to use Samba file sharing.
To install, first open a terminal window and enter the following command:
sudo apt-get install samba smbfs
We’ve got samba installed, but now we’ll need to configure it to make it accessible. Run the following command to open the configuration file, substituting your editor of choice:
####### Authentication #######
# “security = user” is always a good idea. This will require a Unix account
# in this server for every user accessing the server. See
# in the samba-doc package for details.
; security = user
Uncomment the security line, and add another line to make it look like this:
security = user
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
This will set Samba to use the smbusers file for looking up the user list.
Create a Samba User
There are two steps to creating a user. First we’ll run the smbpasswd utility to create a samba password for the user.
sudo smbpasswd -a
Next, we’ll add that username to the smbusers file.
sudo gedit /etc/samba/smbusers
Add in the following line, substituting the username with the one you want to give access to. The format is = “”. You can use a different samba user name to map to an ubuntu account, but that’s not really necessary right now.
Now you can create samba shares and give access to the users that you listed here.
Related Article by Tags:
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail , 12.10, 12.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comment(s) |
- How to Find Default Gateway in Linux : A gateway is a node or a router that acts as an access point to passes network data from local netwo...0 comment(s) |
- How to use Remote Desktop in Ubuntu : Sometimes, we need to access our computer from other locations when we’re not at home and such. This...0 comment(s) |
- Setup the Raspberry Pi as a NAS
- How to Monitor Filesystem Events with incron
- Useful Commands for Linux Users – Episode 6
- Deadly Linux Commands
- Determine Your Specifications from Command-Line
- Automatically Change the Desktop Wallpaper Using Variety on Ubuntu/Linux Mint
- How to Find Default Gateway in Linux
- Setup Backup Server Using rsnapshot
- How to Disable/Change Default PDF Viewer in Mozilla Firefox
- Dictionaries in Python
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .