Install PacketFence Network Access Control on Ubuntu
PacketFence is a network access control (NAC) system featuring a captive-portal for registration and remediation, wired and wireless management, 802.1x support, isolation of devices, integration with IDS; it can be used to secure networks from small to large networks.
This tool can be used in the following areas:
- colleges and universities
- engineering companies
- convention and exhibition centers
- hospitals and medical centers
- manufacturing businesses
- school boards (K-12)
- plus many more…
Install PacketFence On Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Create the packetfence repository file under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory:
$ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/packetfence.list
Add the following line:
deb http://inverse.ca/downloads/PacketFence/ubuntu precise precise
Save and close the file. Add the GPG keys using the following command:
$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 0x810273C4
Then update the sources list and install packetfence:
$ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install packetfence
This command will install packetfence and its all required dependencies. Once apt-get installed all the packages, reboot your server.
Open up your browser and navigate to https://ip-address:1443/configurator/. You may see the following screen.
You will be asked to select the enforcement mechanisms i.e type of your network devices. If you have unmanageable network devices, select Inline enforcement or if you have manageable network devices, select VLAN enforcement.
Here I select Inline enforcement.
Now it will display the number of network interfaces in your current system. You should assign interfaces for Inline and Management. Here i want to assign both interfaces for Inline, because i don’t have any manageable network devices. To do that click on the respective network interface(eth0 or eth1) and select Inline or Management in the dropdown box called Type.
Once you assign all the network interfaces, click on Continue.
Next enter MySQL root user password and create a new database and user for PackerFence.
Enter domain, hostname, DHCP server IP address and alerting email that can be used to receive critical alerts.
Enter the Packetfence admin user password. Enter the password twice and click on Modify password to set admin password and then click Continue.
Finally click on Start PacketFence link to start all Packetfence services.
That’s it. Now PacketFence is ready to use now. For more information about further PacketFence administration, I suggest you to read the Administration Guide.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04 : Power Commands, power management application created by the Atareao team , this app helps users to...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian : uGet is a very light-weight and powerful open source download manager. On March 4th, 2014 Uget Do...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- Download Elementary OS 'Luna' Official Wallpapers : Hi Guys, Am a great lover of Elementary OS, so I like to move almost everywhere with some its beaut...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
- New Games got Greenlit on Linux by Steam Today!
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .