HTC Myst: Putting Facebook First
The social giant Facebook is always looking for novel ways to engage more and more users. Although the much hyped about “Facebook smartphone” never really took off, Facebook is still persistent on grabbing more of the user mind space. A Facebook phone would have been highly redundant as every user is now happy with Facebook’s current range of apps. However, Facebook wishes for a more seamless experience for their users. They wish to tie-in with a virtual phone function that is similar to what their users do on the social site – Calendar events, messaging, photos, contact information and other such applications.
Thinking is only half the job, time to execute. What better way to make this happen than by plugging into Android. HTC and Facebook go way back, to the days of the Cha Cha and Salsa. This time around, Facebook is looking to develop an app that can plug-in to the Android OS on the device. The conventional Android home screen might be replaced with content taken from the users own social feed. This will effectively do away with the need for the existing app icon. Such a customization will need a few minor adjustments to the OS.
For many days, Facebook has been inviting people to their event, amidst many speculations. The Android-centric event is rumored to contain news of the mythical “Facebook smartphone”. Among these rumors, HTC filed an FCC application recently for the “Myst” (rumored to the “Facebook smartphone”). HTC’s ‘Open Handset Alliance’ is in jeopardy as Google is against the forking of Android. The very well publicized issue of the Alibaba Android forking, to which Acer was eventually forced to withdraw any support, shows how ticked-off Google gets regarding this matter. HTC will not be looking to jeopardize its Google connection by forking Android for Facebook. However, minor customizations will allow HTC to continue working alongside Facebook without drawing any heat from Google.
Facebook is driven to increasing the overall time spent on its network. Their motto of “putting Facebook first” seems to be catching on with HTC as well with those who are looking to sustain the heat from competitors like Samsung, Sony and LG. In the possible scenario that the launch turns out to be big the revelation for the new “HTC Myst” or “HTC First” for which it is expected to be officially called, HTC has a daunting task of convincing the millions of Facebook users to make this switch. A seamless Facebook experience is a certain winning point, but not entirely. HTC needs to pack in other features such as an Ultra-pixel camera. A lower priced phone can also go a long way to appease the customers.
The new Android-centric Facebook App may have shades of HTC’s own ‘BlinkFeed’ feature. The Facebook app however, would serve a more Facebook-centric data stream such as messages, comments, and wall posts. HTC may be delivering the first fully Facebook focused Android phone, but negotiations are on to bring other manufacturers into the fray. If this move pays off, more and more users will be hooked onto Facebook through Android itself.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...2 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...3 comments |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal : From github repo nsnake is a clone of the classic snake game that we all used to play on our cellp...0 comments |
- Adding and Deleting Cluster Resources (corosync pacemaker)
- News from Kaspersky Lab: Tor is protecting criminals
- Install Satis On Ubuntu Sever 13.10/13.04
- How To Access A LVM Drive / Partition in Ubuntu
- How To Disable Remember Open Files in Sublime Text 3
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .