Howto : Upgrade from Firefox3.x to 3.5 in Linux
Firefox 3.5 has been released and is available for download, the new version is faster than ever and come with many new features.
Firefox3.5 is based on the Gecko 1.9.1 rendering platform, which has been under development for the past year. Firefox 3.5 offers many changes over the previous version, supporting new web technologies, improving performance and ease of use. Some of the notable features are:
Available in more than 70 languages. (Get your local version!)
Improved tools for controlling your private data, including a Private Browsing Mode.
Improvements to the Gecko layout engine, including speculative parsing for faster content rendering.
Upgrade your current firefox for Linux to firefox3.5
1- Download firefox3.5 from Firefox website
Go to /tmp
2- Now close all the windows of your current firefox and untar,
tar -jxvf firefox-3.5.tar.bz2
I suppose that your firefox3.x is installed in the folder /usr/lib/firefox-3.x,
make backup of this directory first :
#cp -r /usr/lib/firefox-3.x /usr/lib/firefox-3.x.backup
remove old files with :
#rm -rf /usr/lib/firefox-3.x/*
Now verify first where your current firefox is installed and adjust the command bellow to point the installation to this folder.
In my case /usr/lib/firefox.3.x
cp -avr firefox/* /usr/lib/firefox-3.x/
And is done :)
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...2 comments |
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6 : Integria IMS is a fully featured ITIL management system, featuring a ticketing system, inventory/C...2 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' , 13.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
- Format Junkie: Convert Media Files To All Popular Formats
- Setup Squid Proxy Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TimeShift: Restore Your Linux Desktop To Previous State
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .