Howto install EXIM4 mail server in ubuntu and LinuxMint
Exim is a mail transfer agent (MTA) used on Unix-like operating systems. Exim is free software distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence, and it aims to be a general and flexible mailer with extensive facilities for checking incoming e-mail.
Exim has been ported to most Unix-like systems, as well as to Microsoft Windows using the Cygwin emulation layer. Exim 4 is currently the default MTA on Debian GNU/Linux systems.
First check that you have the rite hostname in the /etc/hosts file
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
126.96.36.199 hostname.yourdomain.com hostname
Install exim4 packages
1- Now to install exim4 packages, open terminal and type the following commands:
sudo apt-get install exim4-daemon-light mailutils exim
2- Start the configuration using the command:
You will be asked bout General type of mail configuration , Choose the option for “internet site” and select “Ok” to continue.
after this you will be asked about FQDN (fully qualified domain name), insert your fully system mail domain.
For SMTP IP insert 127.0.0.1
For destination mail should be accepted.
Insert your distination like localhost; loacalhost.localdomain; domain.com. mail.domain.com
Relay domain and relay machines keep it empty
For DNS queries select NO
For delivery methode Select maildir format in home directory
For Spllit configuration select NO
For Root and postmaster recipent Enter
NOW the MTA (exim4)will be restarted
Try to send email from your Terminal with
echo “This is test mail from my machine .” | mail -s Testing email@example.com
This method was tested on ubuntu 10.10/ LinuxMint.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...0 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .