How To Test Network Throughput Between Linux Systems
iperf is a tool for performing network throughput measurements. It can test either TCP or UDP throughput. To perform an iperf test the user must establish both a server (to discard traffic) and a client (to generate traffic).
iperf -s [ options ]
iperf -c server [ options ]
iperf -u -s [ options ]
iperf -u -c server [ options ]
Let us say for example, we are going to test network performance between System A and System B.
System A is running with Debian 7 with IP Address 192.168.1.200/24 and System B is running with Ubuntu 13.04 with IP Address 192.168.1.59/24.
Install ‘iperf’ package on both System A and B with following command.
$ sudo apt-get install iperf
Test Network Performance
Run the following command in System A(Debian 7):
# iperf -s -B 192.168.1.200
-s – Run in Server mode.
-B – Bind To IP
Now go to System B(Ubuntu 13.04) and run the following command:
$ sudo iperf -c 192.168.1.200 -d -t 60 -i 10
-c – Run in client mode.
-d – Do Bidirectional Test On simultaneously.
-t 60 – Transmit second, default value is 10.
-i 10 – Pause 10 seconds between periodic bandwidth report.
On System A(Debian 7):
# man iperf
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10 : By default usernames are not displayed on panel in Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10, In this simple tutorial w...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1 : What is DNS Server? As you might know, DNS, Domain Name System, is a system that resolves Domain ...0 comments |
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together : Hi linux geeks! In this article I will teach you a nice trick you can perform in the terminal with ...0 comments |
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .