How to Mount Remote Directories with SSHFS
Recently, I was demonstrating ssh tunneling to some of my students. One of them asked me how they access remote directories in GUI. This can be achieved in several ways. Let us try mounting via ssh.
Install the sshfs package on the machine you want to mount the remote directory.
$ sudo apt-get instlall sshfs
You need ssh server running on the remote machine and you must have a valid username and password on that machine.
In the example below, I am assuming that you have an account named ubg on a remote_server . Replace remote_server with its IP address. /home/ubg/remote is the local folder into which the remote folder will be mapped. Now let us mount the remote directory.
$ sudo sshfs ubg@remote_server: /hume/ubg/remote
This will mount the home folder of the user ubg on remote_server to the folder /home/ubg/remote on the local machine. You can mount any folder on which you have read permission to the local machine. See this example.
$ sudo sshfs ubg@remote_server:/usr/share/doc /hume/ubg/remote
Now, you can access the remote folder via nautilus like a local folder.
You can unmount the remote folder with
$ sudo fusermount -u /hume/ubg/remote
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04 : Power Commands, power management application created by the Atareao team , this app helps users to...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian : uGet is a very light-weight and powerful open source download manager. On March 4th, 2014 Uget Do...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Download Elementary OS 'Luna' Official Wallpapers : Hi Guys, Am a great lover of Elementary OS, so I like to move almost everywhere with some its beaut...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .