How to Install NetBSD in VirtualBox
NetBSD can often be the forgotten Unix distribution. Forgotten to the popularity of FreeBSD, OpenBSD, PC-BSD and others. In truth, NetBSD has been around a very long time.
NetBSD originated in the early 1990′s, founded by four former members of the 386BSD project. Due to internal dispute between developers and generally not satisfied with the direction of 386BSD, the members formed NetBSD with a clear focus toward clean design and “code done right”.
NetBSD has a very loyal following of users and developers. Almost cult like! All history aside, you may want to know how you can give NetBSD a try. Well, you can using Oracle VM VirtualBox.
There is a small trick with getting NetBSD to boot correctly in VirtualBox. By default, it will halt and present a kernel error message and not boot.
Assuming you have correctly installed VirtualBox, create a new virtual machine called NetBSD. You must then launch the machine via a terminal with the following command:
vboxsdl --norawr0 --startvm NetBSD
NetBSD should now boot as normal and without any error messages. I have tested this on NetBSD 5.1.2 and the latest 6.0 release(s) without issues.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10 : Introduction Fail2Ban is an intrusion prevention framework written in the Python programming l...0 comments |
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful : Running a business can be very stressful. You have to think about team collaboration, making sure th...0 comments |
- install Git in Ubuntu : Git is a distributed revision control system with an emphasis on speed. Git was initially designed a...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5 : I will show you in this tutorial how to install your first cluster Corosync and the Linux Cluster Ma...0 comments |
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
- New Games got Greenlit on Linux by Steam Today!
- Linux Basics: Zypper Usage On openSUSE
- GNOME’s 3.12 supports Google Cloud Print
- How to enable 32-bit support for 64-bit Ubuntu 13.10 or greater
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .