How to Install NetBSD in VirtualBox
NetBSD can often be the forgotten Unix distribution. Forgotten to the popularity of FreeBSD, OpenBSD, PC-BSD and others. In truth, NetBSD has been around a very long time.
NetBSD originated in the early 1990′s, founded by four former members of the 386BSD project. Due to internal dispute between developers and generally not satisfied with the direction of 386BSD, the members formed NetBSD with a clear focus toward clean design and “code done right”.
NetBSD has a very loyal following of users and developers. Almost cult like! All history aside, you may want to know how you can give NetBSD a try. Well, you can using Oracle VM VirtualBox.
There is a small trick with getting NetBSD to boot correctly in VirtualBox. By default, it will halt and present a kernel error message and not boot.
Assuming you have correctly installed VirtualBox, create a new virtual machine called NetBSD. You must then launch the machine via a terminal with the following command:
vboxsdl --norawr0 --startvm NetBSD
NetBSD should now boot as normal and without any error messages. I have tested this on NetBSD 5.1.2 and the latest 6.0 release(s) without issues.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...2 comments |
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6 : Integria IMS is a fully featured ITIL management system, featuring a ticketing system, inventory/C...2 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' , 13.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
- Format Junkie: Convert Media Files To All Popular Formats
- Setup Squid Proxy Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TimeShift: Restore Your Linux Desktop To Previous State
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .