How to install Nagios 3.2.2 from source in Opensuse 11.3
Nagios is a popular open source computer system and network monitoring software application. It watches hosts and services, alerting users when things go wrong and again when they get better.
Nagios was originally designed to run under Linux, but also runs well on other Unix variants. It is free software, licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation.
Before to start, if you want to install Nagios in fedora ,RHEL or centos please read our previous tutorial,Also you can check How to install Nagios in ubuntu 9.x and 10. xand How to install nagios3 in LinuxMint debian based.
I- Install Apache, PHP and some needed libraries
- First we will install apache , php and needed librairies
zypper install rrdtool php5 php5-gd php5-zlib apache2-mod_php5 perl-SNMP net-snmp-32bit nmap ncpfs libwavpack1 apache2
- Now add nagios user to the system
sudo useradd -m nagios
- Create a nagios home directory ( is requiered to start nagios)
mkdir -p /home/nagios
- Create password for nagios user
sudo passwd nagios
- Add gorup nagcmd
sudo groupadd nagcmd
- Add users nagios to group nagcmd and nagios group
sudo usermod -G nagcmd nagios
II- Install and Configure Nagios :
- Now install the Nagios tarballs that we downloaded previously:
tar -xvf nagios-3.2.2.tar.gz
- Then cd the the extracted folder and install
sudo ./configure -with-command-group=nagcmd
sudo make all
sudo make install
- This installs the init script in /etc/rc.d
sudo make install-init
- This installs sample config files in /usr/local/nagios/etc
sudo make install-config
- This installs and configures permissions on the directory for holding the external command file
sudo make install-commandmode
linux-gysk:/home/pirat9/Downloads/nagios-3.2.2 # make install-webconf
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 sample-config/httpd.conf /etc/apache2/conf.d/nagios.conf
*** Nagios/Apache conf file installed ***
- Make a webadmin password for nagios admin
htpasswd2 -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users nagiosadmin
Re-type new password:
Adding password for user nagiosadmin
- Restart your apache server
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
III-Install Nagios Plugins :
Now we have to install Nagios plugins, first download the file from nagios website, then extract it using the command :
tar -xvf nagios-plugins-1.4.15.tar.gz
sudo ./configure --with-user=nagios --with-group=nagcmd
sudo make install
- Verify the config:
sudo /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
Nagios Core 3.2.2
Copyright (c) 2009-2010 Nagios Core Development Team and Community Contributors
Copyright (c) 1999-2009 Ethan Galstad
Last Modified: 09-01-2010
Reading configuration data…
Read main config file okay…
Processing object config file ‘/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/commands.cfg’…
Processing object config file ‘/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/contacts.cfg’…
Processing object config file ‘/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/timeperiods.cfg’…
Processing object config file ‘/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/templates.cfg’…
Processing object config file ‘/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/localhost.cfg’…
Read object config files okay…
Running pre-flight check on configuration data…
Checked 8 services.
Checked 1 hosts.
Checking host groups…
Checked 1 host groups.
Checking service groups…
Checked 0 service groups.
Checked 1 contacts.
Checking contact groups…
Checked 1 contact groups.
Checking service escalations…
Checked 0 service escalations.
Checking service dependencies…
Checked 0 service dependencies.
Checking host escalations…
Checked 0 host escalations.
Checking host dependencies…
Checked 0 host dependencies.
Checked 24 commands.
Checking time periods…
Checked 5 time periods.
Checking for circular paths between hosts…
Checking for circular host and service dependencies…
Checking global event handlers…
Checking obsessive compulsive processor commands…
Checking misc settings…
Total Warnings: 0
Total Errors: 0
Things look okay – No serious problems were detected during the pre-flight check
- Restart Nagios
sudo /etc/init.d/nagios restart
And You are done.
- Now you are ready to use Nagios, open your browser and type :
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...0 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .