Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
How to install and configure samba in ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal and 11.10 oneiric ocelot via GUI
If you want to share files between your Ubuntu and Windows computers, the best option is to use Samba file sharing. In our previous posts, we did show you how to install and configure samba in ubuntu via command line, Today we will do the installation and configuration in ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat and Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal via GUI (This Tutorial also works in LinuxMint). There are many tools that make it easy to install and configure samba using a graphical interface, one of them Samba server configuration tool and S.W.A.T.
If you are new to ubuntu:
“Samba is a free software re-implementation of SMB/CIFS networking protocol, originally developed by Australian Andrew Tridgell. As of version 3, Samba provides file and print services for various Microsoft Windows clients and can integrate with a Windows Server domain, either as a Primary Domain Controller (PDC) or as a domain member. It can also be part of an Active Directory domain.Samba runs on most Unix and Unix-like systems, such as Linux, Solaris, AIX and the BSD variants, including Apple’s Mac OS X Server (which was added to the Mac OS X client in version 10.2). Samba is standard on nearly all distributions of Linux and is commonly included as a basic system service on other Unix-based operating systems as well. Samba is released under the GNU General Public License. The name Samba comes from SMB (Server Message Block), the name of the standard protocol used by the Microsoft Windows network file system. ”
Before to start we need to install samba, you can do that from Ubuntu software center or by command line :
sudo apt-get install samba samba-common
I – Installation and configuration using Samba Server configuration Tool
After samba is installed we need to install the graphical interface System-config samba using the command:
sudo apt-get install system-config-samba
Now we will try for example to share the directory /home/pirat9/Music folder to do that,
First open GUI samba server configuration tool by going to System–> Administration–>Samba
- Edit existing shares
- Add new share
Find more details about the configuration of samba using this tool in our previous post.
II -Installation and configuration using SWAT. Web samba adminitration tool
SWAT is a tool that allows Web-based configuration of Samba. It has a wizard that may help to get Samba configured quickly, it has context-sensitive help on each
smb.conf parameter, it provides for monitoring of current state of connection information, and it allows networkwide MS Windows network password management.
SWAT uses integral Samba components to locate parameters supported by the particular version of Samba. Unlike tools and utilities that are external to Samba, SWAT is always up to date as known Samba parameters change. SWAT provides context-sensitive help for each configuration parameter, directly from
man page entries.
Note : Before using SWAT, please be warned SWAT will completely replace your
smb.conf with a fully optimized file that has been stripped of all comments you might have placed there and only nondefault settings will be written to the file.
To install SWAT open terminal and type the command:
sudo apt-get install swat
This will install SWAT also samba and dependencies.
Now to access SWAT, open your browser and type :
http://your- ip:901 or http://localhost:901
Then use your root login and password
Login admin page:
- Wizard to edit the samba config
- Server Statut:
- View of the actual samba config:
- Changes admin password page
For more posts about the installations and cofiguration of Samba in ubuntu, please read our previous posts.
Note: If you need help please post your problem in the comments and we will help you to resolve the issue.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- How to use Remote Desktop in Ubuntu : Sometimes, we need to access our computer from other locations when we’re not at home and such. This...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know? : Did you know that Unix and Linux has no concept of a file extension? What is a file name extension? ...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know?
- Migrate from MySQL to MariaDB in FreeBSD
- Connect Your Android Galaxy Tablet to Ubuntu via USB
- ElementaryOS Beta 1 and 2 Comparison and Review
- Introduction to the Linux Command Line
- A Secure Password
- Linux Kernel 3.10. It’s BIG!
- Monitoring Users Activity Using psacct or acct Tools in Linux
- Run Your Own Social Network Using elgg on RHEL / CentOS and Scientific Linux
- Getting Debian 7.0 ‘Wheezy’ Up and Running
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .