Google's WebM Open Source threatened by patent pool for VP8
Google after a lot of deliberation decided to offer a single standard for web media format converting its newly acquired VP8 as a royalty-free licensing policy. This will ensure that there is a free and open standard for HTML 5 Web Video. However, the licensing handler for VP8 Video codec H.264, MPEG LA, is pulling the plugs on converting it into a no-revenue generator.
Why MPEG LA does not want VP8 in open source format?
The organization is very clear that MPEG LA merely facilitates the creation of pool licensing to lower cases of infringement actions amongst users. If WebM and UP8 can come under essential patents then the patent owners will benefit and the rush to courts will be minimized. However, it is up to the Patent owners to decide if they want to impose the patents.
Googles’ call on the looming patent pool
Google apparently anticipated that the specter of licensing would be raised by MPEG LA is committed to allowing WebM Project a open source standard without any patent claims for all who use the WebM licensed.
Google every since acquiring the VP8 codec ealier last year was expected to open source the VP8 codec after it purchased the video compression company On2 Technologies. However the product has a H.264 patent. Google did the expected when it formalized the WebM and put out the VP8 as the web standard for web videos so that the hassles of licensing fee can be done away completely.
Google found quick takers for this freebie and Mozilla and Opera quickly offered it on FireFox and Opera. Though the codec was offered to support the nascent HTML 5 Video on Chrome, firefox and Opera, Google quickly dropped the H.264for fast-tracking the migration to WebM.
Presently Google runs the Adobe Flash on the You Tube with the licensed H.264. However, it offers the HTML 5 and is presently offering as new video on the WebM. Therefore, Google needs both capabilities for its browsers – the WebM as well as the HTML 5 especially for its YouTube.
Advantage Microsoft and Apple
The two giants have no such constraints since they have both run H.264 and are already a part of the patent pool. As a matter of fact, Apple and later Microsoft are playing safe with patents and licensing issues on WebM as they believe the original open source on which WebM is created, the
However, this space that needs to be watched for the fireworks are soon going to begin on will win the final war- Open Source or the licensing hats
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...2 comments |
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6 : Integria IMS is a fully featured ITIL management system, featuring a ticketing system, inventory/C...2 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' , 13.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
- Format Junkie: Convert Media Files To All Popular Formats
- Setup Squid Proxy Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TimeShift: Restore Your Linux Desktop To Previous State
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .