Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
Google Patents Object Tagging Software
While I know it’s not Unix or Linux news, I thought this was pretty interesting. Google has applied for a patent on software that can identify and tag any object(s) in an image uploaded by any internet user.
The tagging software has the potential to scan videos and images and automatically pick out an object within the video or image, tag and index the information. The “Automatic large-scale video recognition” patent, describes the software scanning thousands of images of landmarks from around the world that can be tagged, indexed and categorized using color, movement and features of the object or objects. As an example, any holiday photo snapped of the Golden Gate Bridge, or any other popular world landmark could be tagged as “Golden Gate Bridge” and “San Francisco” and then indexed and categorized with Google’s software.
Google claims that it has plans to implement an “Object names repository”, which will contain approximately 50,000 objects to assist the tagging technology with identifying objects within the image. There is no confirmation yet of how and when the technology will be rolled out by Google, but analysts suggest that Google is looking to include the software in to Android smartphones and possibly also YouTube content. Of course, internet privacy advocates have expressed their concerns, claiming that any such service that makes use of the software should be an ‘opt-in’ service only.
We’re curious about what Unixmen readers think about Google’s new tagging technology. Let us know your own thoughts and post a comment below.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- How to use Remote Desktop in Ubuntu : Sometimes, we need to access our computer from other locations when we’re not at home and such. This...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know? : Did you know that Unix and Linux has no concept of a file extension? What is a file name extension? ...1 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know?
- Migrate from MySQL to MariaDB in FreeBSD
- Connect Your Android Galaxy Tablet to Ubuntu via USB
- ElementaryOS Beta 1 and 2 Comparison and Review
- Introduction to the Linux Command Line
- A Secure Password
- Linux Kernel 3.10. It’s BIG!
- Monitoring Users Activity Using psacct or acct Tools in Linux
- Run Your Own Social Network Using elgg on RHEL / CentOS and Scientific Linux
- Getting Debian 7.0 ‘Wheezy’ Up and Running
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .