Friends App: A Microblogging Client For Social Networks
As you may know Gwibber is an Open Source microblogging client for GNOME written in Python and GTK. It brings the most popular social networking web services such as Facebook, Twitter, Flicker, Qaiku etc to your desktop and gives you the ability to control how you communicate. The list of supported social networking services are given below.
Gwibber gives combined stream of all your messages ans status and will automatically shorten URLs when they are posted. It has a buil-in search tool that supports saved searches. You can customize the Gwibber’s look and feel and also it has automatic spell checking feature. It has multicolumn user interface, so that you view multiple streams at once in the same window.
But from Ubuntu 13.04 onwards, Gwibber is dropped and does not come pre-installed on Ubuntu 13.04. Now it has been replaced with Friends App. It has the same functionality and features as Gwibber.
Install Friends App On Ubuntu 13.04
Friends App is available in the default repositories. You can install it from Terminal with command:
$ sudo apt-get install friends-app
Unlike Gwibber, it has a single Timeline window that shows all your status messages and tweets.At the first launch, you will be asked to add online accounts first.
Also Friends App doesn’t has any Menu. To add the Social network account in Friends App, goto Dash -> System Settings -> Online Accounts or Menu -> Preferences -> Online Accounts. Enter your social network credentials.
If you want to post a update to your wall, click on the Post button found in the bottom corner of Friends App.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7 : OpenLDAP is a free open source Light Weight Directory Access protocol developed by the OpenLDAP proj...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6 : Integria IMS is a fully featured ITIL management system, featuring a ticketing system, inventory/C...2 comments |
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
- Format Junkie: Convert Media Files To All Popular Formats
- Setup Squid Proxy Server On openSUSE 13.1
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .