The Firefox 9 has just arrived and Mozilla claims that its latest browser is 36-percent faster than the older version. Along with the new release came patches to Firefox’s six issues and finally a fix to a two-year old security problem on Firefox 3.6. This new release is in line with the new release policy by Mozilla and comes six weeks after the Firefox 8 release in November.
Type Interface Technology
Mac OS too tweaked
Interface for Mac OS X 10.7 is improved allowing swipe gestures, using two-fingers, to move from pages, sites already opened or viewed.
Windows interface reveals no new interface changes.
Patches ride high on Firefox 9
Firefox 9 also comes with patches for four critical issues while others are for ‘high/moderate’ issues.
One of the critical patches was for a series of 23 memory bugs found in the core of the browser engine.
These bugs were found to corrupt the memory on occasions and which, could at a point in future, be exploited posing security threats. Mozilla comments on this bug with this security advisory.
Firefox 3.6 updates
As of the first day of Dec, Mozilla has offered a new edition Firefox 3.6 as it wants users yet on Firefox 3.6 to move to the rapid releases. StatCounter has, so far measured the effectiveness of this, and found that Firefox 3.6 has shown a drop in the past few weeks of Dec, in comparison to the user percentage in entire November.
No’ silent update’ yet
However, this does not yet match the ‘quiet’ update prowess of Google Chrome, since this is done with minimal input from users. Mozilla has since its April 2010 release, aimed at providing silent update of its latest versions and has again missed the goal with the latest release as well.
Mozilla proposes to reach this benchmark with its Firefox 12 release, slated for release for April 2012.
Firefox 9 comes for Android and first interface for tablets
Firefox 9 has released an Android version as well. The interface for Android OS smartphones is now tweaked for faster features.
Interestingly, Firefox 9 has for the first time a browser tuned for tablet use and is available for download at Android Market.
Firefox and Google announce new search contract
Firefox and Google have chosen to help each other. The default search engine on Firefox will be Google, for which the search-engine giant will provide revenue to Firefox.
The next release of Firefox will happen on Jan 31.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...0 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...1 comment |
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy : Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. In this tutorial we are goi...0 comments |
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal : From github repo nsnake is a clone of the classic snake game that we all used to play on our cellp...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .