Firefox 7.0 Released with Enhanced Memory Usage
The final build for Firefox 7.0 has been launched (for Linux, Windows, and Mac). This is a stable release that fixes a previous issue that made Mozilla Firefox run slow. The memory leak problem has disturbed Mozilla for years, and it has finally been resolved. Memory inconsistencies were addressed using MemShrink, an initiative that was started this June.
With no memory leaks and fewer OOMS, there will be less aborts and crashes. The new browser uses far less memory than the previous versions (about 20% to 50%).
Other changes will be noticed in the look and feel of the browser, including the changes in its ‘awesome bar’. The new and latest Mozilla 7.0 is ready for download.
And if you are looking for some adventure, you can try downloading Firefox v9 nightly, or Firefox Aurora v8. But these are only for developers and experienced users.
1- Download :
For 32 bit use this command to download firefox7.0
For 64 bit:
2- Now extract and move the folder to /opt
tar xvjf firefox-7.0.tar.bz2
sudo cp -r firefox/ /opt/firefox
sudo rm firefox-7.0.tar.bz2
sudo rm -r firefox/
3- Make a Symbolic Link
“Backup” the old Firefox launcher:
sudo mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox-old
Create a symbolic link pointing to the new Firefox version:
sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox6 /usr/bin/firefox
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...2 comments |
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6 : Integria IMS is a fully featured ITIL management system, featuring a ticketing system, inventory/C...2 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7 : OpenLDAP is a free open source Light Weight Directory Access protocol developed by the OpenLDAP proj...0 comments |
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
- Format Junkie: Convert Media Files To All Popular Formats
- Setup Squid Proxy Server On openSUSE 13.1
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .