Finally the File Manager of your dreams-spotlights on the Sunflower
The dream was for a Gnome integrated File Manger. Yes, surprisingly file managers are making to dreams of geeks and this file manager is the result of one such dream. Named Sunflower, this file manager is a true hands-on code, which most will like to explore and want to contribute.
The intention was to take it beyond the capabilities of the much loved Midnight Commander. The dream was to overcome the limitations of speed and lack of options using the Gnome Commander, Tux and others. Developed in Python, it is a twin-panel file manager for Linux.
Sunflower Licensing Policy
The sunflower developer has chosen the all-encompassing license structure GNU GPLv3 and presently offers weekly releases. Some users liken it to Dolphin, a rich-feature browser and some to Nautilus (without the ton of dependencies required for gnome) file manager. Sunflower is a neatly packaged file manager for those on the lookout for feature rich file managers as well as speed in an OFM.
With a minimalist footprint, Sunflower, is a highly customizable dual pane file manager designed for high level integration with Gnome and unlimited Linux plugins. A host of short cuts, easy to use features running on Gnome libraries itself, make this a lightweight yet robust file manager. It is a dream file-manager with features that users will enjoy configuring it according to their likes and type of desktop environment.
On the Sunflower File manager, it is easy to create files. Terminal tabs too make their debut here for gnome. Attractive features such as progress dialogs that can be hidden, book marks menu that has active mounts, auto-detection of new mounts and the options dialog ensures configuration is made easy. You can download and explore the bright, fresh file manager on this link.
Here are some screenshots to give you first-hand info on how these would look.
Developed in Python , the dual pane system endears the sunflower to all as it allows for opening of additional cards and navigation becomes a pleasure. So is movement of files from one window to the next by click-and-drag movement. However, since GTK+ has higher installations in comparison to Gnome, features such as thumbnail factory are made optional.
Experiences with Sunflower seem to be better than Thunar, with many more options and scalable/extendable with plugins. GTK themes are what give this that light, airy and fresh feel epitomizing its name Sunflower.
Sunflower is in the process of blooming and has the some issues such as lack of support for smb/ssh connections and increasing the number of shortcuts. Presently these are available as customizable features and there are several of them available as of now. Directory size is yet to be implemented. Status bar to be displayed only when a selection is made.
Alternatives to Sunflower File Manager is available and need to be explored to realise why the Sunflower file manager is a dream.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja : Database administration via command line is bit difficult for newbie system and database administrat...0 comments |
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint : Sayonara is a small, clear and fast audio player for Linux written in C++, supported by the Qt frame...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu : Linux Kernel 3.12.4 has been officially released with fixes for inet6_init() cleanup order, seqlock ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates : Hi guys, Firefox 26 has been released for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android devices. It brings m...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates
- How To Install Brasero In Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .