Ethtool: Utility To Query And Control Network Device Settings
ethtool is a command line utility used to query and control network device driver and hardware settings, particularly for wired Ethernet devices.
ethtool devname options
where devname is the name of the network card i.e eth0, eth1 etc.
This short tutorial will help you to know about installation and some basic examples of ethtool command.
On Debian/Linux Mint/Ubuntu:
$ sudo apt-get install ethtool
# yum install ethtool
To view Ethernet card details, enter the following command.
$ ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0: Supported ports: [ TP ] Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full Supported pause frame use: No Supports auto-negotiation: Yes Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full Advertised pause frame use: No Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes Speed: Unknown! Duplex: Unknown! (255) Port: Twisted Pair PHYAD: 1 Transceiver: internal Auto-negotiation: on MDI-X: Unknown Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: Operation not permitted Current message level: 0x00000007 (7) drv probe link Link detected: no
To View the statistics of your Network card, enter the following command.
$ ethtool -S eth0
$ ethtool --statistics eth0
To view Network Card Driver Details, use the option ‘-i‘ with ethtool command.
$ ethtool -i eth0
driver: e1000e version: 2.1.4-k firmware-version: 1.1-2 bus-info: 0000:00:19.0 supports-statistics: yes supports-test: yes supports-eeprom-access: yes supports-register-dump: yes supports-priv-flags: no
To view the autonegotiate, RX and TX details of eth0, use the option ‘-a‘ with ethtool command.
$ ethtool -a eth0
Pause parameters for eth0: Autonegotiate: on RX: on TX: on
For more information about ethtool command, see the man pages.
$ man ethtool
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10 : Introduction Fail2Ban is an intrusion prevention framework written in the Python programming l...0 comments |
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful : Running a business can be very stressful. You have to think about team collaboration, making sure th...0 comments |
- Install Crashplan backup tool in Linux : CashPlan is an automated backup solution that either uses the CrashPlan Central server or any other ...0 comments |
- install Git in Ubuntu : Git is a distributed revision control system with an emphasis on speed. Git was initially designed a...0 comments |
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5 : I will show you in this tutorial how to install your first cluster Corosync and the Linux Cluster Ma...0 comments |
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
- New Games got Greenlit on Linux by Steam Today!
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .