Ethtool: Utility To Query And Control Network Device Settings
ethtool is a command line utility used to query and control network device driver and hardware settings, particularly for wired Ethernet devices.
ethtool devname options
where devname is the name of the network card i.e eth0, eth1 etc.
This short tutorial will help you to know about installation and some basic examples of ethtool command.
On Debian/Linux Mint/Ubuntu:
$ sudo apt-get install ethtool
# yum install ethtool
To view Ethernet card details, enter the following command.
$ ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0: Supported ports: [ TP ] Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full Supported pause frame use: No Supports auto-negotiation: Yes Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full Advertised pause frame use: No Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes Speed: Unknown! Duplex: Unknown! (255) Port: Twisted Pair PHYAD: 1 Transceiver: internal Auto-negotiation: on MDI-X: Unknown Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: Operation not permitted Current message level: 0x00000007 (7) drv probe link Link detected: no
To View the statistics of your Network card, enter the following command.
$ ethtool -S eth0
$ ethtool --statistics eth0
To view Network Card Driver Details, use the option ‘-i‘ with ethtool command.
$ ethtool -i eth0
driver: e1000e version: 2.1.4-k firmware-version: 1.1-2 bus-info: 0000:00:19.0 supports-statistics: yes supports-test: yes supports-eeprom-access: yes supports-register-dump: yes supports-priv-flags: no
To view the autonegotiate, RX and TX details of eth0, use the option ‘-a‘ with ethtool command.
$ ethtool -a eth0
Pause parameters for eth0: Autonegotiate: on RX: on TX: on
For more information about ethtool command, see the man pages.
$ man ethtool
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja : Database administration via command line is bit difficult for newbie system and database administrat...0 comments |
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint : Sayonara is a small, clear and fast audio player for Linux written in C++, supported by the Qt frame...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu : Linux Kernel 3.12.4 has been officially released with fixes for inet6_init() cleanup order, seqlock ...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates : Hi guys, Firefox 26 has been released for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android devices. It brings m...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates
- How To Install Brasero In Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .