Enchance Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid lynx and ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat repositories with Medibuntu
The actual repositories of Lucid Lynx and Maverick Meerkat contain all softwares you need for your ubuntu, from media players to graphics tools to games …and more, the installation now is getting more easy with the ubuntu software center where with a simple click you can find hondred of softwares and click to install, but if we look how many softwares we will have to add repositories and then add keys before to install, or the ones that we will have to download from official website of the software ? So many examples exist, like opera , google earth, w32codecs, skype , realplayer and more .
To make life easy, you need just to add Medibuntu repositories, so what is Medibuntu ?
Medibuntu is a packaging project dedicated to distributing software that cannot be included in Ubuntu for various reasons, related to geographical variations in legislation regarding intellectual property, security and other issues:
- patentability of software, algorithms, formats and other abstract creation
- legal restrictions on freedom of speech or communication
- restrictions on the use of certain types of technical solution, such as cryptography
- legal restrictions on imports of software technology, requiring for example specific permissions
Now after you adding Medibuntu repositories you will be able to install many software(Opera , Sun Java ,Acrobat Reader…) that are not included in the ubuntu software center and you will stop wasting time looking for for the right package and from where to download the package … because you will be able to install the package by simple typing :
sudo apt-get install xxx
Now let`s see how to add Medibuntu repositories:
1- Add the Medibuntu repository.
echo deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
2- Add the verification key
wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
3- Update the installation :
sudo apt-get update
4- Now you will be able to install softwares by simple using this command :
sudo apt-get install xxx
The second option is to add Medibuntu repositories by copying this command to your terminal :
sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list
&& sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7 : OpenLDAP is a free open source Light Weight Directory Access protocol developed by the OpenLDAP proj...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update : Canonical has released security updates for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and advices to update your system as so...0 comments |
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .