Desura Beta bodes good for Linux games
Desura, is more aptly described as an innovative application (for Linux) for digital distribution of indie games through its proprietary DesuraNET software. Backed by the same Aussie company, which supports ModDB, IndieDB, Desura is building a unified platform for all independent games, to be well supported with patches, mods, addons and anything else users or community contributes.
Why Desura is very important to indie games
There is a certain order of importance to the games, which Desura supports. Considering the thousands of wonderful, exciting and innovative games that independent gamers develop, discovering every one of them and using them is becoming a uphill task for most gamers.
So a single platform consolidating all these games and offering them to gamers on a platter not only bodes good to the gaming community but has a significant importance to developers as well.
The Desura software actually comes with tools and function features, developed specifically for gaming specialists to –
First provide them with exceptional and robust features to do what they do best, create the game, rather than wasting time on nitty-gritty
Second, it also provides a massive community of developers who can will provide the feedback to take the games to the next level
The independence and neutrality of the sponsors, but a tight community-dependent development makes Desura a very important platform for linux developers as well.
Linux-based games developed by independent developers are a plenty where some are exemplary, some do require the backing of the community and Desura is very significantly offering that support.
With the just release thin-client Beta, Desura is inviting 50 only developers into the loop, to test, smoothen out the bugs and bring in stability. As the core testing is completed, Desura will then be available for download.
The Sept 22nd new build has fixes by the loads and if you want to look at them do this-
At desura directory “./desura -f”
This will compel client to update and you will be able to see the changes.
Some of issues Desura Beta addresses
Since the linux client uses wxWidgets, toolkit GTK+, some of the known issues include-
GDK_IS_WINDOW assertion in some systems is leading to lot of console outpout
Exiting the client occasionally leads to a crash
Community feedback so far
Most die-hard gamers and the community have begun to use the beta version (though only for browsing and buying but not for gaming) opine that for beta build, it works excellent.
Some have tested it on the Gnome 3,Linux Mint11, KDE 4.7, Kubuntu 11.04, AMD64 as well as the Openbox and find no big bugs perhaps for the occasional login box mess-up in KDE. ‘Save Login’ is another issue, which tester will love resolving.
Desura Beta post testing will not only go on to become and awesome game-store ( perhaps take on Steam and co.) but offer developers faster, better and greater performance tools for greater Linux-based games
Watch out gaming world-Linux Games are here soon, fully loaded on Desura!
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10 : By default usernames are not displayed on panel in Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10, In this simple tutorial w...0 comments |
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1 : What is DNS Server? As you might know, DNS, Domain Name System, is a system that resolves Domain ...0 comments |
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together : Hi linux geeks! In this article I will teach you a nice trick you can perform in the terminal with ...0 comments |
- cowsay And fortune Combined Together
- How To Show Username On Panel In Ubuntu 13.04/13.10
- Setup DNS Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TeamViewer 9 Final Has Been Released!
- Twelve Vulnerabilities Have Been Fixed In Ubuntu 12.04, Time To Update
- OpenLDAP Installation and Configuration in Ubuntu 12.10/13.04/13.10 And Debian 6/7
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .