Darkstat: Web Based Network Statistics Gatherer
Darkstat is a simple, lightweight, web based network statistics gatherer. It is a packet sniffer that runs as a background process, collects all sorts of network statistics about network usage, and serves them over HTTP.
Darkstat can run on any modern Unix/Linux like systems that has libpcap such as,
- FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD
- Linux (Archlinux, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu)
- Mac OS X
- Traffic graphs, reports per host, shows ports for each host.
- Embedded web-server with deflate compression.
- Asynchronous reverse DNS resolution using a child process.
- Small. Portable. Single-threaded. Efficient.
- Supports IPv6.
Darkstat is available in the default repositories of Debian/Ubuntu systems, so you can install it using the following command:
$ sudo apt-get install darkstat
It is available in Fedora official repositories, so install it using the command:
$ sudo yum install darkstat
Once you have installed Darkstat, you must edit and set the following changes in /etc/darkstat/init.cfg file.
Edit file /etc/darkstat/init.cfg,
$ sudo nano /etc/darkstat/init.cfg
Make the changes as shown below.
# Turn this to yes when you have configured the options below. START_DARKSTAT=yes ## Change no to yes ## # Don't forget to read the man page. # You must set this option, else darkstat may not listen to # the interface you want INTERFACE="-i eth0" ## Interface you want darkstat to listen ## INTERFACE="-i eth1" ## Interface you want darkstat to listen ## DIR="/var/lib/darkstat" ## Uncomment ## PORT="-p 666" ## uncomment## BINDIP="-b 192.168.1.250" ## Uncomment and set ip address of your eth0 or eth1 ## LOCAL="-l 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0" ## Uncomment and set ip range to listen ## [...]
Save and close the file.
Now start darkstat daemon using the command:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/darkstat start
Open up your browser and point to http://ip-address:666/. Now you should see the graphs as shown below.
Click on the hosts link on the top to see the list of hosts which are monitored by darkstat.
If you want to view the traffic of a particular host, click on the IP address of the host. You should then see the traffic caused by the corresponding IP address.
Darkstat is yet another simple network analyzer tool like ntop and vnstat that can be used to monitor the input/output traffic caused by the systems in the network. It works well as its advertised and has a constant development cycle. Hope it will useful for you.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX : Wow! Early last week it was all over the internet, if you haven't heard it yet then this is the t...0 comments |
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive : A couple of months before, we have featured a Linux client for Google Drive named Syncdrive, which w...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- How To "Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status" : QUESTION: I get the following error when I use sudo apt-get update: E: Could not open file /var/...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install Sublime Text 3 In Fedora Easily With Fedy
- Grive: An Unofficial, Open Source Linux Client For Google Drive
- Install nSnake Game In Terminal
- How To “Fix E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status”
- Wow! Linux Foundation To Offer Free Linux Course This Summer Worth $2,400 on EdX
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .