Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
Linux Mint Not To Switch To Unity
LinuxMint is one of the most polished GNU/Linux distros based on Ubuntu. Canonical recently announced that they are abandoning the upcoming Gnome Shell and move to Unity along with a long-term plan to replace X with Wayland. This raises the question, what will happen to Linux Mint which is an Ubuntu derivative?
Clement Lefebvre, Linux Mint, told Muktware, “We’re not planning to switch to Unity but to keep our desktop as similar as it is at the moment. So it’s hard to say how we’ll achieve this technically but we’re aiming at using Gnome without Gnome Shell :)”
This is good news for Gnome fans, who neither wanted the new Gnome Shell or Unity.
When asked about Wayland, Lefebvre said, “… it’s an interesting project. Ubuntu isn’t going to switch to it this year and we’ll see future releases keep X for now. The backing of canonical behind this project could bring it up to speed as a really interesting alternative and a good successor to X, just as it could make it something that only suits Ubuntu itself.. the future will tell. For now we’re sticking with X with no plans to change, but we’ll keep an eye on the development of Wayland and see where it’s going in the near future.”
Lefebvre concluded, “Anyway, it’s too soon to talk about this. Mint 10 is about to be released, and Mint 11 will come with the same desktop and the same X server in about 6 months time.”
Are you a Mint user — what would you prefer: Unity or Gnome Shell?
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know? : Did you know that Unix and Linux has no concept of a file extension? What is a file name extension? ...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto- Resolve nosound problem on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail,12.10 and Older : Updated 05/04/2013 : One of the common issues facing Ubuntu users after installing or upgrading Ubun...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know?
- Migrate from MySQL to MariaDB in FreeBSD
- Connect Your Android Galaxy Tablet to Ubuntu via USB
- ElementaryOS Beta 1 and 2 Comparison and Review
- Introduction to the Linux Command Line
- A Secure Password
- Linux Kernel 3.10. It’s BIG!
- Monitoring Users Activity Using psacct or acct Tools in Linux
- Run Your Own Social Network Using elgg on RHEL / CentOS and Scientific Linux
- Getting Debian 7.0 ‘Wheezy’ Up and Running
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .