Linux Mint Not To Switch To Unity
LinuxMint is one of the most polished GNU/Linux distros based on Ubuntu. Canonical recently announced that they are abandoning the upcoming Gnome Shell and move to Unity along with a long-term plan to replace X with Wayland. This raises the question, what will happen to Linux Mint which is an Ubuntu derivative?
Clement Lefebvre, Linux Mint, told Muktware, “We’re not planning to switch to Unity but to keep our desktop as similar as it is at the moment. So it’s hard to say how we’ll achieve this technically but we’re aiming at using Gnome without Gnome Shell :)”
This is good news for Gnome fans, who neither wanted the new Gnome Shell or Unity.
When asked about Wayland, Lefebvre said, “… it’s an interesting project. Ubuntu isn’t going to switch to it this year and we’ll see future releases keep X for now. The backing of canonical behind this project could bring it up to speed as a really interesting alternative and a good successor to X, just as it could make it something that only suits Ubuntu itself.. the future will tell. For now we’re sticking with X with no plans to change, but we’ll keep an eye on the development of Wayland and see where it’s going in the near future.”
Lefebvre concluded, “Anyway, it’s too soon to talk about this. Mint 10 is about to be released, and Mint 11 will come with the same desktop and the same X server in about 6 months time.”
Are you a Mint user — what would you prefer: Unity or Gnome Shell?
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6 : Integria IMS is a fully featured ITIL management system, featuring a ticketing system, inventory/C...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats : Selene is yet another project from the TimeShift Developer Tony George. It is an audio/video convert...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...2 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
- Format Junkie: Convert Media Files To All Popular Formats
- Setup Squid Proxy Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TimeShift: Restore Your Linux Desktop To Previous State
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .