Clonezilla’s Multi-casts, Overcasts Norton Ghost
Would you believe that at NCHC 41 computers cloned 5.6 GB simultaneously in 10 minutes? Multicasting or what? Clonezilla is a new age multicasting and unicasting solution from OpenSource Clone system for massive and large-scale cloning.
Cloning content is an essential process of computing where contents from one computer hard disk need to be transferred/imaged/cloned to another or multiple computer hard disks. Rebooting, restoring, new computer provisioning, hard disk upgrades, full system backup , system recovery and transfer to other users are some of the main areas/reasons where cloning is used.
Types of cloning tools presently available
Proprietary software for cloning includes Ghost by Norton, Bart by PE, Acronis while OpenSource options available include G4L, G4U, Gparted and there is Clonezilla. Typically, commercial software is limiting both in terms of costs as well as in terms of the number computers to which content can be cloned. One license, allows only one computer to be cloned. This is not only restrictive but duplication at very expensive rates.
Why use Clonezilla instead of Norton Ghost
Symantec, a leading name in paid software, offers it professional backup and recovery software for $70 minimum and supports key technologies from Cold imaging, Blu-ray Disc support, Windows 7 Bitlocker support. However, where it fails is boot network driver issues.
Clonezilla effectively uses DRBL, Partclone and udpcast for recovery and metal backup. A typical, GPL software, it is compatible with GNU/Linux, MS, Mac OS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD in -32-bit, x86; 64-bit, x86-64 OS. The best feature is that only used blocks in the partitions are saved, restored. Where the file system is unsupported the cloning is fast-track sector-to-sector through the dd.
With the Clonezilla, you can enable un-attend mode and like true blue blood open source allows you to customize imaging/cloning suing boot parameters extensively. Additionally, using their free software-drbl-winroll, the cloned windows machine details such as hostname, group, SID can be changed automatically.
Clonezilla, is available in two packages, Clonezilla Live & Clonezilla SE. Both are used for different types of usage. The clonezilla Live is CD/DVD, USB Flash for Unicast purposes only. The Clonezilla SE on the other hand is the server edition that is supported on DRBL. The SE is able to support across all structures-unicast, broadcast as well as multicast.
Limitations of Clonezilla presently
Clonezilla has a few limitations, which with time will be overcome by developers. Differential or incremental backup, online image tweaking/cloning is not possible yet as only in unmounted form is the cloning possible. RAID software can be enabled only manually and is not the default.
How Clonezilla makes Norton Ghost the past
Today OpenSource software, as it was intended to do, offers solutions that are highly productive but cost effective too. Clonezilla is a winner over other opensource as it offers bare metal backups as well as diskcloning. With a host of killer features, the future of diskcloning is Clonezilla and is way beyond Norton Ghost’s stalling, part-by-part cloning features. Besides, Acronis, is more powerful and seamless in comparison to Ghost!
Over and above the lower costs of clonezilla is its technical power to multicast, broadcast, unicast in a matter of minutes without restrictions, licensing etc. Ghost is truly a thing of past for disk cloning!
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .