Caramageddon sequel arrives for Linux
Carmageddon Reincarnation, the highly-enjoyable game has been backed by crowd-funding KickStarter, with gamers from the open source waiting for the native client release.
Carmageddon is a 1997, Death-race themed gory PC game that has had a great fan following. Developed by Stainless Games, the game involves driving cars to avoid cows and pedestrians. With strong principles of Physics involved, a sandbox approach, the game had become very popular and soon had sequels and ports. The last release of the game was in 1998, with the Carmageddon 2 release.
“We’ve been hearing this message even louder since launching our Kickstarter campaign to help fund our next title in the series, Carmageddon: Reincarnation. The message from the gaming community is loud and clear: give us something to play while we wait for the new Carmageddon! So that’s exactly what we’ve done.” Says Stainless co-founder Neil Barnden.
Impressed by the crowd backing so many of the earlier games have received, he says,”Since we got the rights to Carmageddon back, we’ve been hearing from the community how much they’d love to be able to play the original games again, on a modern Windows PC.” Older popular games have been very successful by choosing to be funded by KickStarter for building sequels to other popular platforms such as Mac or Linux. Hence, post KickStarter success and complete and more funding, Carmageddon Reincarnation will soon have a native Linux and Mac platforms.
The original Carmageddon PC game along with the expansion Splat Pack will be available on GOG.com. These will be freebies for pledges of $25 and above at Kickstarter. The game to be first available in Feb 2013 for the PC; will be followed by Mac/Linux and at a later date for PSN/XBLA.
In the developers’ own words, the Carmageddon Reincarnation will be releases ‘episode based’ and generally follow ‘iterative development.’ Once, the final episode is released a DLC too will be offered. The expectation is that the modding community will have a great opportunity to create the add-on content if it was an original DLC. The mod tools required for it are soon to be released under general/public use license.
The features that developers will bring back from the original game for the sequel, would include- beefing the roles of characters such as Batwick and Co.; the re-entry of the classic ‘Coastal Carnage’ back in ‘the Loop’; the Big Dump and action replays as well. The game will have mixed player modes- both old and new multiplayer modes will continue.
The fun part of the game especially for backers at Kickstarter, is that they too can become a part of the game for posterity - for developers and other Stainless staff will feature as pedestrians in the game and now funding-backers too will be included as pedestrians.
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : Tor, The Onion Router, is a network of Virtual Tunnels that allows users to communicate securely and...2 comments |
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6 : Integria IMS is a fully featured ITIL management system, featuring a ticketing system, inventory/C...2 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- Install and Configure Samba share in Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' , 13.04| Howto : Updated 05-04-2013: One of the most asked features for Samba is a graphical user interface to help w...0 comments |
- Configure Your Browser To Use Tor On Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint
- Setup A Full Featured ITIL Management System Using Integria IMS On CentOS 6
- Install LibreOffice 4.1.3 in Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- How To Install Simple Scan in Crunchbang ‘Waldorf’
- Selene Media Encoder: Convert Audio, Video Files To Most Popular Formats
- Linux Kernel 3.12.2 Is Available For Download! Install / Upgrade Instructions
- CentOS 6.5 Has Been Officially Released!
- Format Junkie: Convert Media Files To All Popular Formats
- Setup Squid Proxy Server On openSUSE 13.1
- TimeShift: Restore Your Linux Desktop To Previous State
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .