Canonical launches Ubuntu App Showdown
Canonical has been recently engaged in attracting third party application developers to their Ubuntu Platform. Last year, Canonical launched a special developer program that was aimed at facilitating developers to distribute stand-alone applications through the Ubuntu Software Centre. Now, once again, Canonical in its attempt to attract developers, is hosting a contest called the Ubuntu App Showdown.
Canonical, through this contest, is geared to publicise its set of tools and frameworks that can be utilised by Ubuntu users for rapid application development. The company has also produced a series of video tutorials in order to introduce new developers with the Gtk+ widget toolkit, Glade user interface designer and the Python programming language.
The contest has started on June 18th and will extend till 9th July. Participants have 3 weeks to build and submit a working Ubuntu application from scratch. The apps submitted in the contest will be judged by a panel for Appearance, Stability, Platform Integration, Innovation and Scratching an Itch. The best apps will win some awesome prizes from System76 and Qt including a System76 Gazelle Professional laptop and Nokia N9 phone for the gold prize, a System76 Lemur Ultra laptop and Nokia N9 phone for the silver prize and a Nokia N9 phone for the bronze prize. After the contest the community will vote on all of the apps in the Ubuntu Software Centre and the top 3 most voted app will receive Nokia N9 phones each.
Further details of the contest can be found here. http://developer.ubuntu.com/showdown/
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja : Database administration via command line is bit difficult for newbie system and database administrat...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu : Linux Kernel 3.12.4 has been officially released with fixes for inet6_init() cleanup order, seqlock ...0 comments |
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint : Sayonara is a small, clear and fast audio player for Linux written in C++, supported by the Qt frame...0 comments |
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates : Hi guys, Firefox 26 has been released for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android devices. It brings m...0 comments |
- Setup Secure FTP Server With MySecureShell
- How To Install Linux Kernel 3.12.4 In Ubuntu
- Firefox 26 Has Been Released, How To Install It In Ubuntu And Its Derivates
- How To Install Brasero In Elementary OS ‘Luna’
- Install Sayonara Player In Elementary OS / Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Manage Databases And Hosted Servers Remotely With DbNinja
- Install FrostWire 5.6.9 In Elementary OS ‘Luna’/ Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Setup IT And Asset Management System With GLPI On Debian/Ubuntu
- How To Configure Linux Clients To Authenticate Using OpenLDAP
- How To Install Netflix In Ubuntu
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .