Automatic Package Updates in ubuntu Using cron-apt
If you have installed the full desktop version of Ubuntu, everything you need is already installed and running. Package updates can be scheduled from the desktop. For the server or costumised installation then you need to install apt-cron.
If you want to change when the system update itself in a full ubuntu desktop version,you have to go to System–>Administration –>Software sources
Then shedule automatic update for daily. weekly …
Now if you have an costumised ubuntu or an ubuntu server for example, and you want that the updates to be installed automaticaly, then you may need to install apt cron.
cron-apt package, combines the cron and apt utilities, and provides flexibility and a simpler interface as well as supporting e-mail alerts on errors or new information.
cron-apt automatically adds the
-d flag, so you’ll have to run
apt-get dist-upgrade to install the changes. You can install
cron-apt using apt:
sudo apt-get install cron-apt
You can find the configuration file of cron-apt in /etc/cron-apt/config, except how often the script runs, that’s depended on
cron so you can find it in /etc/cron.d/cron-apt. One popular configuration change is to add the line:
This will make sure an e-mail is always sent when the update runs, rather than only when an error occurs.
Add cron-apt to cron.daily
To make cron-apt be executed by Anacron, create a link in /etc/cron.daily or /etc/cron.weekly. For example:
sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/cron-apt /etc/cron.weekly/
For daily updates :
sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/cron-apt /etc/cron.daily/
For Hourly updates :
sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/cron-apt /etc/cron.hourly
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...0 comments |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- DNS Server Installation Step by Step Using CentOS 6.5/6.4/6.3 : DNS, Domain Name System, translates hostnames or URLs into IP addresses. For example if we type www....0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .