Firefox 16, a treat for developers http://t.co/cnd27CzT
Automatic Package Updates in ubuntu Using cron-apt
If you have installed the full desktop version of Ubuntu, everything you need is already installed and running. Package updates can be scheduled from the desktop. For the server or costumised installation then you need to install apt-cron.
If you want to change when the system update itself in a full ubuntu desktop version,you have to go to System–>Administration –>Software sources
Then shedule automatic update for daily. weekly …
Now if you have an costumised ubuntu or an ubuntu server for example, and you want that the updates to be installed automaticaly, then you may need to install apt cron.
cron-apt package, combines the cron and apt utilities, and provides flexibility and a simpler interface as well as supporting e-mail alerts on errors or new information.
cron-apt automatically adds the
-d flag, so you’ll have to run
apt-get dist-upgrade to install the changes. You can install
cron-apt using apt:
sudo apt-get install cron-apt
You can find the configuration file of cron-apt in /etc/cron-apt/config, except how often the script runs, that’s depended on
cron so you can find it in /etc/cron.d/cron-apt. One popular configuration change is to add the line:
This will make sure an e-mail is always sent when the update runs, rather than only when an error occurs.
Add cron-apt to cron.daily
To make cron-apt be executed by Anacron, create a link in /etc/cron.daily or /etc/cron.weekly. For example:
sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/cron-apt /etc/cron.weekly/
For daily updates :
sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/cron-apt /etc/cron.daily/
For Hourly updates :
sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/cron-apt /etc/cron.hourly
Like us on Facebook
This week Top Posts
- Top Things to do After Installing Ubuntu 13.04 ‘Raring Ringtail’ : Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail final is almost out. The final release it scheduled for release on Apri...0 comment(s) |
- Howto: Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail from 12.04, 12,10 | Desktop & Server : Updated 05-04-2013: Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will be released Soon, If you have ubuntu 12,10, 12...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know? : Did you know that Unix and Linux has no concept of a file extension? What is a file name extension? ...0 comment(s) |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comment(s) |
- Howto- Resolve nosound problem on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail,12.10 and Older : Updated 05/04/2013 : One of the common issues facing Ubuntu users after installing or upgrading Ubun...0 comment(s) |
- Configure conky-Lua in Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04 Raring Ringtail), Fedora, debian and LinuxMint | Howto Conky : Updated 05-04-2013: Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any informatio...0 comment(s) |
- Unix/Linux File Recognition. Did You Know?
- Migrate from MySQL to MariaDB in FreeBSD
- Connect Your Android Galaxy Tablet to Ubuntu via USB
- ElementaryOS Beta 1 and 2 Comparison and Review
- Introduction to the Linux Command Line
- A Secure Password
- Linux Kernel 3.10. It’s BIG!
- Monitoring Users Activity Using psacct or acct Tools in Linux
- Run Your Own Social Network Using elgg on RHEL / CentOS and Scientific Linux
- Getting Debian 7.0 ‘Wheezy’ Up and Running
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .