A Secure Password
The minimum you can do to protect yourself is to avoid weak passwords. In most cases people do not know what weak passwords are and why are called such. Passwords that can be easily guessed or cracked are called weak passwords. Many security breaches worldwide are often the result of poor password choices. These poor choices were the most fundamental mistakes made by people fifteen or twenty years ago and are still the most common issues in cyber security today.
Avoiding weak passwords is not that hard and it is better than an empty bank account. Knowledge of how different attacking methods work is the best way to learn how to protect yourself and develop better protection techniques. Love your girl but never think to use her name as a password. Never! Internet is full of wordlists that can be used by malicious attackers against you in order to find out your little secret password. Now, think how hard will be for them to get your password if your girlfriend’s name is in the list of most popular names. 0.000000000001sec? Imagine if the password is in the top of the wordlist. If this is true you are finished already or it will happen soon. I am surprised that you still continue reading. What are you waiting – Go and change your password before the illegal hackers do it for you. The following are some of the worst password creating schemes you should completely avoid.
Creating passwords based on proper nouns
Using your pet’s name to create a password is the same thing as using your girlfriend’s name. There are wordlists of pets too!
Creating passwords based on usernames
Sometimes, when you sign up for an account, you create your password based on your username. This is wrong and risky. The first thing everybody does when tries to guess your password is trying your username. A combination of your username and numbers is weak too. For example, admin123. It can be cracked using dictionary attack or brute-force attack.
Creating passwords based on personal information
Nowadays, your personal information can be obtained very easily such as your name, surname, birth date, email, phone number, apartment number and more. Some cyber criminals might have government programs that allow them to check your background. Scary stuff.
Creating passwords based on dictionary words
Creating passwords based on popular book titles, movie titles or phrases in books and movies is also not good. When we like something so much it is easier for us to remember when we need it. This is the reason why many people use their favorite football players for their password. Everything that is popular is on a wordlist. Wordlists are updated and they contain everything that becomes popular such as movies, phrases and names of famous people.
Like us on Facebook
We need your assistance to stay live
This week Top Posts
- Top Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 13.10 'Saucy Salamander' : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander will be released on coming October 17th with many new salient featur...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October : For Fedora users, just keep calm and use Fedora 20 for now. Fedora Developers has announced that F...1 comment |
- How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 13.04 Raring To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander : Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy will be released on October 17th. Hope it will come with lot of improvements and ...0 comments |
- Install LAMP Server (Apache, MySQL or MariaDB, PHP) On Ubuntu 13.10 : Updated January 12, 2014 LAMP is a combination of operating system and open-source software stack. ...0 comments |
- Install lamp with 1 command in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04 Raring Ringtail & LinuxMint13 : Updated: 10/09/2012 :LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is an open source Web development platform ...0 comments |
- How to Install uTorrent Client on Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint : uTorrent is a lightweight and efficient BitTorrent client for Linux, Windows OS and Mac OS. The inst...0 comments |
- Fedora 21 Scheduled For Release In October
- Install Uget Download Manager In Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian
- Download Elementary OS ‘Luna’ Official Wallpapers
- Install Power Commands 0.1.5 On Ubuntu 14.04/13.10/12.10/12.04
- 5 Android Apps that’s Going to Make Running Your Business Less Stressful
- Puppet agent Install Using Script
- Install Corosync and Pacemaker On CentOS 6.5
- Install Fail2Ban On Ubuntu Server 13.04/13.10
- How To Install Google Chrome in Fedora 20, 19, 18
- How to surf using Tor Browser Bundle
This work by unixmen.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Copyright © 2008-2013 Unixmen.com .